Wednesday, September 17, 2014

All In

Back to normal life after a solid month of hysterics. The water on this side of the wedding is warm, sparkling and exciting. It's the first time I've felt like if there was a red button in front of me that would automatically transport our lives back to the US, I would in no way be tempted to hit it.

It's not to say that Brazil is truly home. It's hard to imagine home being a place where I can only communicate with 1 in 20 people. That's not the point.

Rather, it's where I want to be. For how long? I can't say for sure. Whenever someone asked me that a few months ago, I would always say, "A year. Maybe a year and a half." Now, I'm not sure. I think it would take a major incident to bring me back. Or maybe after 18 months I really will hate the place.

It's getting harder and harder to imagine what my life would be like had I not moved here. When I think of America, it's like I can't even focus. I see now the true value of removing yourself from the life you once knew. Is there a more alluring word than reset?

Next week is seven months.


No comments:

Post a Comment