Monday, April 7, 2014

Hippy to the Hoppy

Lots of Brazilians want to learn English. Very few do and only a fraction of those speak it well. There are language schools here on every other block. Chatting with Dani on the Metro, I often get curious stares from all ages when they hear my voice. It's like a strange superpower I possess that, like Super Man, I was born with and did basically nothing to earn.

Strange then that Brazilians would have such a passion for hip-hop (pronounced "hippy-hoppy"). It's America's most lyrically-focused music and also it's most difficult to decipher. Understanding rap lyrics really is the pinnacle of understanding today's English language if you look outside the lens of education. Drenched in slang and delivered at a fast pace, it's sort of the ultimate final exam.

American and British music is everywhere here. From stores to nightclubs, I hear one of "my" songs for every one of theirs. Dani and I were sandwiched together in a club last Friday night when Nelly's "Shake Ya Tailfeather" came on. Those opening sirens were a mighty fine sound being this far from home. While I wasn't the only one dancing, I'm pretty sure that out of the 500 people in the building, I was probably the only one that understood what, "Collect so much grass, po po thinking we mow lawns" meant.

The simplest explanation for this love is also the most refreshing. Unlike Americans, Brazilians seem less concerned with whatever is the newest/hottest/dopest track from (insert disposable rapper). Instead, they gravitate to the songs that sound the best. Lyrics are neither here nor there. I can accept that on a Saturday night.

Keep the hits coming, Brazil. Twice since I've been here, I've seen love given to Sunshine Anderson's "Heard It All Before." A song I probably hadn't heard in 10 years. Man is that a fun one.




No comments:

Post a Comment