Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Musica

Some quality music from Brazil for those looking to grow their libraries.

"Ja Sei Namorar" by Tribalistas
Title loosely translated: "I Already Know How to Date"
This one right here is easily on my top ten favorite songs of all time. The final 1:30 is dynamite. I really think music like this recruits tourism. It certainly worked on me.

"Debaixo D'agua" by Arnaldo Antunes
Title loosely translated: "Underwater"
A few people sing this song, but Arnaldo has the best version. He's sort of an oddball who reminds me a lot of Andrew Bird minus the violin. This song, on paper, is about how great it is to be underwater if only you didn't have to come up for air. I think it's actually about coping with reality and responsibilities every day. And how great is that bass?

"Music Is My Hot, Hot Sex" by CSS
CSS stands for Cansei de Ser Sexy (translated: "I'm Sick of Being Sexy"), which is a hard band name to top. This group is pretty well known in the States. I've seen them play in DC with Sleigh Bells and they blew them and everyone else away.

"Kilo" by Bonde Do Role
This thing sounds like it's right out of a Tarantino movie. I can't shut it off when it starts. The lyrics are half about sex and half pointless. Its obnoxiously-Brazilian video just about captures that.

MTV Unplugged concert by Marcelo D2
Marcelo D2 is an elder statesman of Brazilian hip-hop on par with, maybe, Jay-Z in the US. For Jay-Z's MTV Unplugged concert he employed the Roots as a house band plus a handful of strings. Marcelo says, "I'll see your strings and raise you a horn section, a banjo, a reading chair and a guy playing a bottle."
The result is a go-for-broke performance that straddles the line between hip-hop and samba. I don't know how this could be better or why it isn't in the same conversation as MTV's other legendary Unplugged shows.
Throw this on your head phones at work and watch an hour disappear.

No comments:

Post a Comment